Inpatient rotations form a solid base of PM&R knowledge in a variety of inpatient care settings including SCI, brain injury, stroke, and general rehabilitation services. Senior residents function as junior attendings integrally involved in directing patient team staffings, family meetings, and teaching junior residents.
Outpatient rotations provide exposure to orthotics/prosthetics, amputee clinics, gait analysis, and complimentary/alternative medicine. There is also the chance for hands on experience in pain management, including nerve blocks, epidural injections, PRP injections, MSK ultrasound, and opioid management. Residents will also be exposed to Pediatric Rehabilitation with a wide array of patient populations including cerebral palsy, spina bifida, muscular dystrophy, congenital myopathies, TBI, and SCI. Residents in Pediatrics will participate in movement disorder, spasticity, scoliosis, brachial plexopathy, and orthopaedic clinics. A senior continuity clinic is required for one half day per week during the 4th year with the attending(s) of your choice.
EMG exposure will take place for PGY-2s to -4s. Residents will acquire well over 200 cases during their residency, and this provides excellent experience to meet the American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine (ABEM) eligibility requirements.
Residents will also participate in consult services at UPMC Mercy and UPMC Presbyterian, including exposure to Acute Level I trauma patients—burns, TBI, multiple trauma, amputee, SCI, and acute stroke. This work will take place at one of the world’s leading centers in transplant surgery.
MODEL ROTATION SCHEDULE
The 1st year (PGY1), consists of rotations in internal medicine, inpatient rehabilitation, rheumatology, neurology and radiology, and elective time. Years two through four (PGY2-PGY4) are devoted primarily to rehabilitation rotations in inpatient and outpatient settings including:
- UPMC Spine Center – Outpatient rehab, MSK, sports-related injuries
- Mercy Professional Building at UPMC Mercy – Private practice, general rehab outpatient clinic
- Center for Assistive Technologies – Evaluations for wheelchair mobility and other assistive devices in a multidisciplinary clinic
- Jefferson Hospital – Private practice for EMG
- MRI Cranberry – Private practice for outpatient rehab
- Bethel Park, South Hills – Private practice for EMG and interventional pain medicine injections
- Monroeville Clinic and Same-Day Surgical Center – MSK and sports medicine clinic, and interventional pain medicine injections
- Washington, PA Clinic – Private practice for MSK and sports medicine