Spinal Cord Medicine Fellowship
Recruiting for July 2015
rolling interview process
A one-year ACGME accredited clinical and research fellowship is offered by the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. A physical medicine and rehabilitation trained and Board Certified/Board Eligible applicant is preferred. Our program is one of 19 accredited SCI training programs nationwide. (ACGME #3454113017)
The primary training site is the Spinal Cord Injury and Disease Program located at the Rehabilitation Institute-UPMC Mercy, a Level-1 Trauma Center. Other institutions and centers involved in the fellowship program include:
- UPMC Presbyterian/Shadyside Hospital (Level-1 Trauma Center)
- Pittsburgh VA Health Center
- Center for Assistive Technology
- Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC (Level-1 Pediatric Trauma Center)
The fellowship provides excellent exposure to various aspects of care for individuals with SCI including:
- Acute Neurotrauma Rounds and Consults
- Acute inpatient rehabilitation
- Intrathecal Baclofen Pump, programming and refills
- Outpatient Continuity Clinic
- Nerve block and motor point treatments for spasticity
- Adult and pediatric outpatient clinics treating neurologic and medical conditions associated with SCI
- State of the art Assistive Technology
The department is one of 11 SCI Model System sites funded by NIDRR offering excellent research opportunities to the fellow, for more information about this important research visit to http://www.upmc-sci.pitt.edu/.
Attendance at national and international conferences in Spinal Cord Injury such as the American Paraplegia Society Annual Meeting and International Medical Society of Paraplegia Meeting is encouraged.
The SCI Fellow will attend inpatient staffing conferences and outpatient continuity clinics as well as SCI Journal Club conferences. Participation in residency program research meetings, didactics and Journal clubs is recommended. The fellow will also attend Neuro-trauma Rounds and Consult Rounds at UPMC Presbyterian/Shadyside Hospital.